Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Contributor

I'm going to starting contributing to this blog. I will mostly post about things I find interesting as I learn my way around OS X and Objective-C, from the perspective of a person coming from Windows/Linux and C++.

By way of introduction, a bug report. NSFileManager reads past the end of allocated memory. The details can be found at rdar://6636446, Apple have fixed the issue for some future release (10.5.7 or 10.6?).

I came across this by running my application with Guard Malloc. For the Linux developer, Guard Malloc is basically DUMA for Mac. Like Linux, it is easily used via the Mac (pseudo-)equivalent of LD_PRELOAD, DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES, or if you can stand using XCode long enough, it can be enabled at the bottom of the "Build" menu.

No comments: